Forwarded by Emily Withrow ’03:
The Onion, America’s Finest News Source, is the world’s most popular humor publication online and in print. We reach 5 million people each month on our web site and 2 million each week with our newspaper. We are seeking an enthusiastic, strategic manager to run the Onion’s production department, based in our Chicago office.
The Production Director works hand-in-hand with the production team to plan, recommend, implement, and advance the production department’s methods and goals, and performs the day-to-day management of assigned production department employees. In addition, the Production Director, like a Production Designer, is in charge of the weekly production cycle of their home market, and must balance those duties against their management responsibilities.
* Supervise and actively participate in the production cycle: offer frequent, informal constructive criticism of production approach and design quality, and maintain a balance of employee needs with the needs of both the individual market, and the production department as a whole.
* Collaborate with local account executives, sales managers, etc. to design and local advertisements for clients, meeting and creatively exceeding Onion specifications. This may include managing ground-up production, tweaking existing designs, or verifying the design work of a representing agency or external designer.
* Complete paper post-production, combining nationally designed and delivered content, local content, and advertising to produce the finished edition of the Onion to Onion and printer specifications.
* Do so mindful of density targets, rules for editorial placement, and advertising placement requests and requirements. Manage employee absence (vacation, sickness, etc.) by distributing workload among remaining designers. Perform yearly performance reviews for assigned Production Designers, including recommendations for merit increases.
* Make recommendations for probationary action, or termination, as appropriate. Perform face-to-face training for the production team.
* Maintain frequent communication with the City Managers in assigned markets. Maintain competency regarding production design duties; insure that distribution of duties is done with an eye toward maintaining timeliness and quality of output.
* Distribute or perform projects unrelated to standard production duties from the Production Director, Art Director or Business Development staff, based on analysis of workload and project match.
Ideal candidates will have five to seven years of experience in a related design fields (i.e., printed-product or advertising design industry experience). Moreover, candidates MUST have solid experience managing a group of designers, trafficking workflow. It is not ideal for candidates to have only web design, programming, or other more technical experience, or those who have worked only in retail environments (small print shop, copy-shop, other low-level design areas).
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, vision, dental, group life insurance and 401K plans.
Interested and qualified applicants should forward a cover letter, resume and compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.